Miami is blossoming as startups are starting to show promise here in the Sunshine State. As a bridge between Europe, Canada & South America, Miami can either be a starting point for international firms to tap into US Markets, or a launching pad for international expansion. StartHub is focused on building this international ‘highway’, attracting more talent to Miami and helping businesses penetrate new markets.
Below is an updated guide to what’s been working, tips, resources, hubs and information about the Miami Startup Scene:
Some successful startups in Miami
Magic Leap: some magazines and writers like to call this company “The World’s Most Secretive Startup.” Magic Leap has been developing in a quiet and unpretentious office in Florida, which is the most funded mixed reality company to date.
LiveNinja: is a live video chat marketplace that connects you with experts in a various of topics, fields, and expertise. Users can search a database of LiveNinjas that teach a variety of subjects and learn from those them directly! The company just secured $2M to combine live web chat and messaging
ADMOBILIZE: is a venture-backed Internet of Things technology company converging tangible and digital worlds. They are focused on delivering real-world insights to increase ROI, through straightforward hardware and software.
Freebee: Free electric transportation around Miami. Each Freebee car simultaneously hosts its own marketing campaign for a variety of clients.
LiveAnswer: an update to the limited, costly, and inefficient model of outdated call-centers
Competitive Advantages for Startups in Miami
- Geographic location which allows entrepreneurs to easily connect with the rest of the world
- Relatively new startup ecosystem allows for better penetration and access to resources
- Melting pot of different cultures for recruiting talent
- Cost of living
- Lacks effective public transportation, but currently undergoing major infrastructure updates including projects like All Aboard Florida
Miami Startup influencers
- Knight Foundation is a big financial supporter of the Miami tech scene, investing in the LAB and helping fund other projects like The idea Center @ Miami-Dade College
- Venture Hive focuses on democratizing entrepreneurship education through a global network of accelerators, universities, and mentors.
- Endeavor Miami: is a non-profit that supports high-impact entrepreneurs around the world with their extensive network of mentors
- Founder Institute Miami: is the world’s premier startup launch program for talented entrepreneurs. The Founder Institute has a comprehensive step-by-step incubation program over the course of three months.
- Startupbootcamp: Europe’s largest business accelerator operating in eight countries. Startupbootcamp chose Miami as his first stop in the US, and will focus in Digital Health.
- Ironhack: is an international coding boot camp based in Miami and Spain.
- Wyncode: is the first coding boot camp accredited by the Florida Department of Education’s Commission for Independent Education.
- StartHub Miami: is an innovation hub that offers tools, programs & extensive resources for entrepreneurs & innovators across the globe.
- The Idea Center: Hub for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. A place where students and community members gather, collaborate and take advantage of resources to develop their ideas.
- eMergeAmericas: is a 2-day technology conference in Miami, connecting innovators, investors and thought leaders through summits, workshops and networking.
- Miami Herald and the Starting Gate Blog: Nancy Dahlberg is the advocate of entrepreneurship in Miami. She’s leading this segment of the Miami Herald about what’s happening with Miami Tech.
- Florida Small Business Development Center: provider of Business Assistance in Florida for small businesses
- Startup Digest Miami: the personalized insider newsletter for all things startup in Miami area
- The Launch Pad @ UM: Based in University of Miami, The Launch Pad is all about teaching aspiring entrepreneurs what it takes to build a company first hand.
- Coworking spaces: Coworking is blooming in Miami. Right now there is a lot of different spaces with tailored amenities for different need and priorities. Startups in Miami should choose the one that best fit with their personalities:
- 1400 Biscayne Center, 360spaces, Brickell Link, Building.co,büro Miami,Caffeine Spaces, Carbon Wynwood, CityDesk, Executive Street, GOS24 – Intelligent Office, Keyworking, Latitude Brickell Centre, MADE at The Citadel, MEC261, Miami Shared, NEXT Workspaces, Pipeline WorkSpaces, Quantum Executive Offices, Skye Studios, Skye Studios, Synergy Workspaces, TamboWorks, TheLAB Miami, WeWork, Yes Workspace
If you know some company/startups/influencer that should be on this list, please e-mail us at email@example.com and we will add it !